Don McNair Scholarship in Plant Identification and Illustration
DonorDr Donald Livingstone McNair
The intention of the scholarship is that it will support an Honours candidate whose project involves ecology, identification or illustration of native flora, thus aligned with the goals of The Don McNair Herbarium.
Dr Donald McNair, DSc honoris causa, University of Newcastle, lived his entire life in Newcastle. He combined a career as an auto-electrician with an extraordinary passion for plant taxonomy and ecology. He collected plant specimens within the Hunter Region, throughout NSW and interstate. His botanical training was formalized in the late 1950's by undertaking courses offered by The University of Newcastle, the Workers Education Association (WEA) and through interactions with plant taxonomists at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney.
Don McNair's legacy to teaching and research is the donation of his herbarium now comprising 14,000 specimens to The University of Newcastle. The Don McNair Herbarium was formally opened in 2003 and Don and his volunteers worked to maintain and expand the collections until his death in 2014. He believed that his collection "will be vital in recording environmental and plant changes, particularly in response to climate change". His donation of the Herbarium and this scholarship was designed to foster postgraduate research in plant taxonomy, ecology and botanical illustration.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
This scholarship is not yet open for 2021. Please log in to the application portal and register interest in this scholarship to receive an email notification when applications open.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the 4th year of a Bachelor of Science (Hons) with a Biological Sciences or Sustainable Resource Mgmt major, Bachelor of Environmental Science and Management (Hons), or Bachelor of Natural History Illustration (Hons) program.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 6.0 or higher in your current program.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000 to be paid as $2,000 following semester 1 and semester 2 census dates.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of academic merit, and assessment of the applications and required supporting documentation against the eligibility criteria.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759