John Sinclair Cormack Memorial Scholarship for Pianists or Violinists
03 March 2021
This scholarship was established by the trustees of the will of John Sinclair Cormack to assist students who are studying piano or violin. The purpose of the scholarship was to provide funds to be used towards the payment of fees or where it may be considered desirable living allowance and travelling expenses.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of a Bachelor of Music in the Faculty of Education and Arts, University of Newcastle.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be a resident to the municipalities of the cities of Newcastle, Maitland, Cessnock or the Shires of Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens.
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Not have previously completed an Australian undergraduate degree program.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $15,000 payable over a maximum of 2 years study. The benefit will be paid as $3750 each semester, after semester census date.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Performance may be required.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759