Port Waratah Coal Services Undergraduate Scholarship
04 March 2018
DonorPort Waratah Coal Services Ltd
This Scholarship was established by Port Waratah Coal Services to support undergraduate students at the University of Newcastle. This scholarship will be awarded to applicants in their first or second year of study in select Business degrees and/or Engineering. Successful scholars may be offered the opportunity to undertake (10) weeks of paid Summer Vacation work at Port Waratah in the period December to February following award of the scholarship.
Applicable to commencing, 1st year, equity, excellence, financial disadvantage, engineering, business, innovation and entrepreneurship, industry.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in your 1st or 2nd year of a Bachelor of Business, combined Bachelor of Business/Commerce or Business/Law, Bachelor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, or any Bachelor of Engineering program with UON.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously completed an Australian undergraduate degree program.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement outlining your academic achievement to date, your experience of financial hardship, and your career aspirations in the relevant area of study or research as well as how this scholarship would assist you.
- Any documents supporting your claims (such as CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement). A list of required documents for educational disadvantage is available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/disadvantage-supporting-docs
TIPS: Limit supporting documents to a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only. You may need to combine as one pdf for upload and include your name and student number (if you have one) in the document.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $7,000 per year, to be paid as a lump sum following Semester 1 census date.
The scholarship is ongoing for up to 3 years of study with a total maximum benefit of $21,000, provided eligibility is maintained.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of assessment of the required written statement and the application against eligibility criteria, academic merit, and performance at an interview, if required.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759