Doherty Ellis Undergraduate Scholarship for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students
03 March 2021
DonorNewcastle Aboriginal Support Group, Con & Athie Ellis, and community members.
This scholarship was established to honour the memory of Jack Doherty, who founded the Newcastle Aboriginal Support Group in 1980. Jack saw tertiary education as a key factor in Aboriginal empowerment. The intention of the scholarship is to encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to complete studies at the University of Newcastle. The scholarship was established with funds from the former Newcastle Aboriginal Support Group.
Funds have also been contributed in memory of Athie and Con Ellis, who migrated to Australia in the late 1940’s. As well-educated Greek migrants facing social and financial difficulties, they understood the value of education and had a unique perspective on the problems faced by others in the community. They had no children of their own and were dedicated to helping further the education of young people.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate program with the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and be recognised as such by your community.
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $4,000 to be paid as two lump sums of $2,000 after semester one and semester two census dates.
Selection of the scholar will be on the basis of assessment of the application and supporting documents against the eligibility criteria
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759