Friends of the University Keith Barbour Memorial Honours Scholarship
06 March 2020
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle
The Friends of the University were established in 1981 to foster an awareness of the university and its place in the community and to conduct activities including fundraising that promote the interests of the university. Since that time the Friends have raised over $1,000,000 and contributed towards scholarships, art works, music, rare books, infrastructure and more. This scholarship is named in honour of Keith Barbour who was the first vice-president and second president of the Friends of the University and was integral in establishing the Friends. Keith chaired the steering committee of business men, citizens and university associates who drafted their first constitution. Keith was also a company director of the insurance broking group, Stenhouse, and a prominent citizen of Newcastle.
This Scholarship was established in 1991 to support a student in studying full-time in their final year of an Honours program with University of Newcastle.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in your final/ Honours year of an Honours Program with University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000, paid in two equal payments of $2,000 following semester one and semester two census dates.
The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and assessment of the supporting documentation.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759