CSIRO Women in Energy Industry Placement Scholarship
03 March 2021
DonorCommonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
The Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment has developed the Industry Placement Stream within its undergraduate programs, providing students with an opportunity to gain real world experience as part of their studies with the University, and to apply the theory and skills learned while studying in a professional workplace.
The Industry Placement Scholarship Scheme offers financial support to a student commencing in the Industry Placement Stream by way of a scholarship for the duration of the program, up to 4 years. The sponsor will also provide opportunity for the student to undertake industry placements to meet the requirements of the Industry Placement Stream.
A scholarship sponsored by The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO is now available for a current first year female student studying in the Industry Placement Stream of one of the following eligible programs:
- Bachelor of Aerospace Systems Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Computer Systems Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering (Hons)
- Bachelor of Renewable Energy Engineering (Honours), or the
- Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons).
CSIRO is Australia's national science research agency, solving the greatest challenges using innovative science and technology. At CSIRO, we shape the future. We do this by using science to solve real issues to unlock a better future for our community, our economy, our planet. To be a truly diverse organisation we need to reflect the diversity that we see in society. We need the skills and knowledge to innovate for tomorrow and an understanding of today’s big questions and how they affect everyone. However, women still hold far fewer leadership positions than men particularly in STEM fields where only 18 per cent of leadership positions are held by women. We're addressing gender equity through our work with the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) pilot and the Male Champions of Change (MCC) initiative. This scholarship is one way for us to address gender diversity.
There is a placement requirement with this scholarship.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st year of an eligible Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment Industry Placement Stream program at UON Callaghan Campus.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Be female.
- Be an Australian citizen.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
This scholarship provides a benefit of $5000 each semester payable following census date in April and September each year.
The total scholarship value is $40,000 over 4 years, provided ongoing eligibility is maintained and is subject to available funding.
The scholarship also offers the opportunity to undertake industry placements within the Sponsor’s workplace in order to satisfy the requirements of the Industry Placement Stream of your program.
Selection will be made in two stages:
- Shortlisting of applicants based on assessment of the applications and relevant supporting documents; and
- An interview of shortlisted applicants by the Selection Committee.
Selection will be made by the Faculty Selection Committee, which will consist of a minimum of three members chosen by the Pro-Vice Chancellor for the Faculty and may include a company representative.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.