The Statistics discipline is one of the highest ranked statistics departments in Australia, achieving the highest possible research ranking – ERA 5, ‘well above world standard’ – in the most recent Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) rankings.
Our expertise covers a range of areas within statistics and data science, with industry inspiring much of our research.
This outstanding research excellence positively impacts on the quality of learning and teaching within our discipline, with students taught by world leaders in their fields, in courses that have a strong focus on real-world and industry applications.
The Major in Statistics within the Bachelor of Mathematics degree and the Bachelor of Science degree is accredited by the Statistical Society of Australia, with double degree options available. An Honours program is offered to widen career opportunities or to act as an entry point for research higher degree studies. We have a strong high degree by research postgraduate program (PhD).
At postgraduate level, a graduate certificate in Data Science, a graduate certificate in Data Analytics, and a Masters in Data Science is offered, with flexibility of online mode. All courses have input from stakeholders and industry to ensure they equip students with necessary workforce skills.
- Professor Eric Beh: Categorical Data Analysis, Correspondence Analysis, Ecological Inference, Measures of Association
- Professor Ricardo Campello: Data Science, Data Mining, Statistical Learning, Machine Learning
- Dr Ali Eshragh: Markov Decision Processes, Reinforcement Learning, Stochastic Modelling and Optimisation, Time Series Forecasting
- Professor Peter Howley: Systems and Process Improvement, Bayesian hierarchical models, STEM Education, Healthcare systems
- Dr Shuaib Khan: Computational Statistics, Distribution Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Survival Analysis
- Dr Robert King: Computational Statistics, Distribution Theory, Socio-Spatial Statistics, Statistical Ecology
- Dr Glen Livingston: MCMC algorithms, Bayesian statistics, Non-linear multivariate time series, Big time series
- Dr Ian Renner: Ecological statistics, Species distribution models
- Dr Elizabeth Stojanovski: Multivariate Statistics, Methods of Meta-Analyses, STEM Education, Biostatistics
- Dr Frank Tuyl: Bayesian Statistics, Applied Statistics, Biostatistics, Statistical Theory
- Dr Hamish Waterer: Data Science, Analytics, Decision Support, Mathematical Optimisation
- Dr Barrie Stokes: Bayesian computation in general, nested sampling, equidistribution testing, foundations of induction reasoning
- Conjoint Professor John Rayner: Goodness of fit, Non-parametric statistics
- Dr Trevor Moffiet: Bivariate relationship modelling, Bounded space modelling, Foliage cover modelling, Tobacco trends modelling
- Dr Darfiana Nur: Nonlinear time series theory and modelling, Regime switching volatility models, Hidden Markov models, Big data time series
- Ms Fran Baker: Biostatistics, Statistical consulting, Surveys, Factor analysis
- Mr Kim Colyvas: Ecology, Health, Psychology, Statistical consulting
- Mr Nic Croce
- Dr Paul Rippon
- Megan Valentine