ACSRC Research Highlights 2015
Malware and Internet of Things
Research Work on New Feature Distributed Malware Attacks on Internet of Things to be presented at the International Conference on Engineering Complex and Communications Systems, IECCS 2015
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, Design and Evaluation of Feature Distributed Malware Attacks against the Internet of Things (IoT), Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Complex and Communications Systems, IECCS 2015
New Malware and Secure Systems Research
A New Anti-virus Parasitic Malware that can subvert self-protection of Anti-virus proposed
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, “A Novel Malware for Subversion of Self-Protection in Anti-Virus", Accepted for Publication in the Journal of Software Practice and Experience, 2015.
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, “Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Novel Anti-Virus Parasitic Malware, Accepted for Publication in the ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC 2015
A New Technique that can significantly reduce Malware Attacks in Software Systems Proposed. Significant for developing Large Scale Secure Software
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, Secure Dynamic Software Loading and Execution using Cross Component Verification, Accepted for Publication in the 45th IEEE/IFIP Annual International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2015
Secure Cloud Data Storage
Research Works on a Novel Trust Model for Secure Data Storage in Cloud and Secure Cloud Storage Auditing accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on information Forensics and Security
- L.Zhou, V.Varadharajan, M.Hitchens, “Trust Enhanced Cryptographic Role-based Access Control for Secure Cloud Data Storage”, IEEE Transactions in Information Forensics and Security, July 2015
- J. Yu, K.Ren, C.Wang, V.Varadharajan, “Enabling Cloud Storage Auditing with Key-Exposure Resistance”, IEEE Transactions in Information Forensics and Security, 2015.
- L. Zhou, V.Varadharajan, M.Hitchens, “Generic Constructions for Role-based Encryption”, International Journal of Information Security, Springer, 2015
Research work on Provenance based Access Policy for Search on Encrypted Cloud Data Storage presented at the 18thInformation Security Conference ISC 2015, Sept 2015, Norway
- X.Fan, V.Varadharajan, M.Hitchens, “Provenance based Classification Access Policy System based on Encrypted Search for Cloud Data Storage”, Proc of the 18th Information Security Conference ISC 2015, Sept 2015, Norway.
Secure Lightweight Devices and RFID Schemes
New RFID based Authentication Schemes and Lightweight Implementations
- F.Guo, Y.Mu, W.Susilo, H.Hsing, D.Wong and V.Varadharajan, "Optimized Identity- Based Encryption from Bi linear pairing for lightweight devices", IEEE Transactions in Dependable and Secure Computing, May 2015
- N.Li, Y.Mu, W.Susilo, F.Guo, V.Varadharajan, "Vulnerabilites of ECC-based RFID Authentication Scheme", Journal of Security and Communications Networks, 2015
- N.Li, Y.Mu, W Susilo, V.Varadharajan, "Shared RFID Ownership Transfer Protocol" Accepted for Publication in the Journal of Computer Standards and Interfaces, May 2015
- N.Li, Y.Mu, V.Varadharajan "Anonymous Yoking-Group Proofs, Proc 10th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security, ASIACCS 2015 April 2105
Software Defined Networks Security
New Research Work on Policy based Security Architecture for Software Defined Networks to be presented at 31st ACM Symposium on Applied Computing
- K.Karmakar, V.Varadharajan, U.Tupakula and M.Hitchens, “Policy Based Security Architecture for SDN”, Accepted for Publication in the Proc of the 31st ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC 2016.
- Setting up a Software Defined Networks Testbed at ACSRC as part of ARC Large Scale Infrastructure (LIEF) Project with several Universities (UNSW, UTS, RMIT, Swinburne and Adelaide) and CSIRO.
Techniques for Botnet Detection in Software Defined Networks Proposed
- U.Wijayasinge, U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “Botnet Detection using Software Defined Networking”, Proceedings of 22ndInternational Conference on Telecommunications, ICT 2015 the International ICT 2015, April 2015.
- U.Wijayasinge, U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “ An Enhanced Model for Network Flow Based Botnet Detection”, Proceedings of the 38th Australian Computer Science Conference (ACSC), Feb 2015
Secure Cloud Services and Infrastructures
A Practical Hypervisor based Security Architecture for Securing Web Applications wins the Best Paper Award
- D.Jayarathna, U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “Hypervisor based Security Architecture to protect web applications”, Proceedings of the Australian Information Security Conference, (Conference Best Paper Award) (AISC 2015), Feb 2015.
Security for BigData presented at Infocomm 2015 Big Data Security
- U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “Security Techniques for Big Data Environments”, BigSecurity 2015, included as part of the IEEE INFOCOMM 2015 Proceedings, April 2015.
Secure Biometric Recognition and Authentication Schemes
New Schemes for Finger Vein based Recognition Proposed
- S.Damavandinejadmonfared, V.Varadharajan, “A New Improved Scheme for Finger Vein Recognition Analysis”, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Symposium on Safe Computing, UbiSafe 2015.
- S.Damavandinejadmonfared, V.Varadharajan, “A new extension of Kernel Principal Component Analysis for Finger Vein Authentication”, Proceedings of the 38th Australian Computer Science Conference, (ACSC 2015), Feb 2015
Secure Cognitive Networks
Research Work Improving the Detection of Attacks in Cognitive Radio Networks developed
- F. Jin, V.Varadharajan, U.Tupakula, “Improved Detection of Primary User Emulation Attacks in Cognitive Radio Networks”, Proc of the International Telecommunications Networks and Applications Conference, ITNAC 2015.
Recent Invited Appointments
- Professor Varadharajan appointed to the Prime Ministerial Cyber Security Task Force (CSTF) India in May 2015. CSTF created upon the recommendation of the Prime Minister of India by NASSCOM (the peak body for Indian Technology Sector).
- Professor Varadharajan invited to be a member of the Expert Working Group, National Science, Technology and Research (NSTRC) Committee, Office of Chief Scientist Australia (2015). We developed the strategic research priorities and specific challenges in the area of Cyber Security which have now been adopted by the ARC as national strategic research priorities for Australia.
- Professor Varadharajan appointed as Visiting Professor - Mercator Fellow by DFG German Research Foundation – 2016-2017, with Technical University of Darmstadt.
- Professor Varadharajan is a member of the Australian Academy of Science’s National Committee Member for Information and Communication Sciences (2014-2016)
- Professor Varadharajan has been a Senior International Visiting Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences 2014-2015
- Professor Varadharajan has been a member of the NSW Government ICT Industry Advisory Panel (NSW Govt Cabinet Appointment) in 2015
- Professor Varadharajan has been Oxford Martin Associate, Oxford Martin School, University of Oxford in 2015
New and Continuing Research Projects in 2015
- Prof Varadharajan conceived the idea of Cyber Security Institute at MQ University, originally with Prof Natalie Klein (Law School). Worked with the Faculty of Business and Faculty of Arts to establish a multi Faculty Cyber Security Hub, which was presented to the University Executive in Nov 2015.
- ARC Discovery Project, Cloud Security: Techniques for Securing Cloud Data and Services – Vijay Varadharajan
- European Union 7th Framework, “Authentication and Authorization for Entrusted Unions”, 2014-2015 - Vijay Varadharajan, Michael Hitchens, Uday Tupakaula and Chun Ruan, and several European Partners
- ARC Linkage Infrastructure Project (LIEF) on Software Defined Networks Testbed with UNSW, CSIRO, Google, RMIT, UTS, Swinburne and Adelaide Universities
- Macquarie Research Development Project on “Synergizing the Power of the Cloud with the Power of the Crowd” with Dr Young Lee
- Australia’s Data Retention Bill - Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security Inquiry into the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Amendment (Data Retention) Bill 2014. Joint submission with Dr John Selby and Dr Yvette Blount (Faculty of Business and Economics)
Some Recent Invited Speeches
- Prof Varadharajan - Invited Speech on “Technology Scenery and Cyber Security Trends” at the Building Cyber Resilience Conference, Sydney, Aug 2015, http://www.criterionconferences.com/event/cybersafetyaus/
- Prof Varadharajan - Keynote Speech on The 10th Annual Cyber Security Summit, NASSCOM-DSCI, New Delhi, Dec 2015, https://www.dsci.in/events/about/2261
- Prof Varadharajan - Invited Talks as Senior International Visiting Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, July 2015
- Prof Varadharajan - Invited Speech on “Security Landscape and Cloud Services Security”, NSW Government Digital Information Security Practice Meeting, Mar 2015
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.