Pop-up legal clinic returns to support the Newcastle community
After a challenging 2020, the University of Newcastle Legal Centre’s pop-up clinic at Merewether beach is returning to offer free legal advice to individuals struggling with any law-related matters.
Staffed by law students and social work students in their final years of study, and supervised by accredited lawyers, Law on the Beach provides an opportunity for people to ask questions on all legal matters – from tenancy issues to employment.
Director of the University of Newcastle Legal Centre, Shaun McCarthy, said COVID-19 had brought on unique legal issues relating to family law, debt and consumer matters. Law on the Beach is an opportunity for affected individuals to learn more about their rights and take action.
Held in the relaxed setting of Merewether Surf Life Saving Club, the clinic aims to improve accessibility and approachability to legal services. This year will mark its 18th year supporting the region.
The clinic will run 9.30am to 2.30pm on:
- 20 January 2021 - Merewether Surf Life Saving Club
- 27 January 2021 - Merewether Surf Life Saving Club
- 3 February 2021 - Merewether Surf Life Saving Club
- 10 February 2021 - Merewether Surf Life Saving Club
- 17 February 2021 - Merewether Surf Life Saving Club
- Drones to predict where water pipes are at risk of bursting
- Modest, sustainable changes proven key to beating childhood obesity
- Free breakfast at the library
- Newcastle welcomes NSW Chief Justice to confirm Australia’s newest lawyers
- 'Hardlines’: My life in bad behaviour: an exhibition by Professor Mario Minichiello