A message about safety at UON's Callaghan campus
Safety of our community is always a high priority for UON, and thus we are continuously striving to enhance the services we provide.
Many of you may have seen media about an incident that occurred on Saturday 4 August at the University’s Callaghan Campus in which a young man was assaulted. We understand this may be worrying to all members of our community. Please be assured UON takes these matters very seriously and we are working with the police to support their investigation.
Safety of our community is always a high priority for UON, and thus we are continuously striving to enhance the services we provide. These services include:
- running of free shuttle services around campus and to surrounding suburbs,
- providing an after-hours security escort services (02 49215 888),
- having an ongoing program of enhanced and additional lighting on pathways, and
- increasing our security infrastructure such as CCTV, building access controls and emergency help points.
First and foremost, in an emergency, you are reminded to contact emergency services (000). Security services are available 24 hours on 02 49215 888.
There are also additional support services on and off campus should you happen to find yourself worrying about your safety. Callaghan Campus has over 25 Emergency Help Phones placed around the campus. These phones are a direct line to Security Services and can be located on the Campus map.
Should students need support we have a number of options available. These include:
- An after-hours crisis support line (1300 653 007; or SMS: 0488 863 216). This service operates 5pm-9am weekdays, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays.
- UON Counselling Service (phone) available 9am-5pm.
- Campus Care team (02 4921 8600) available 9am-5pm.
International students are reminded that they can access the out of hours International Student Assistance Line for support and advice on 1800 081 233.
All students are reminded to report any suspicious behaviour to Security Services on 02 49215 888 or email@example.com.
On other UON campus
For details on campus security services at our other locations please visit the Security webpage.
For further details on important contact numbers where you are studying please see the following links:
- Central Coast
- Newcastle City Precinc
- Port Macquarie
- Coffs Harbour
Let me reiterate that we are committed to promoting a culture of respect and tolerance at UON, and we are determined to continue our work to ensure that every one of you feels safe and welcome here.
PROFESSOR LIZ BURD
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching) and Academic Registrar
University of Newcastle
- 25 Alumni Awards Achievers in 2019
- New research highlights Australian music’s global export value and strong international success
- Checking in on check-ups to help Close the Gap
- Unique partnership transforming lives of people living with mental illness
- Experts challenge WHO recommendations on saturated fats