New to the Library? Need to get started? Here's a quick guide for staff and students.
Need help? Staff in the Service Zone can assist with enquiries or refer you to a Librarian for more in-depth help. Use our Ask the Library service to chat or email us your questions.
Postgraduate students and academic staff can contact their Senior Research Librarians for in-depth assistance.
Please refer to our Other users page if you are not one of our staff or students.
Our aim is to provide our students with welcoming places to meet, read, study and learn.
The University of Newcastle provides library services at six campuses:
- Auchmuty and Huxley libraries at the Callaghan campus
- Newcastle City campus library in the NeW Space
- Central Coast campus library at the Ourimbah campus
- UON Sydney library
- Port Macquarie library at the joint TAFE/University campus
- PSB Academy library in Singapore
In addition, services are provides at a number of affiliate locations.
Please check the Library hours website for opening hours at your Library.
24 hour spaces
Swipe access using staff or student ID cards is required outside library opening hours.
- Information Commons in the Auchmuty, Newcastle City and Ourimbah campus libraries are open 24 hours a day during semester, with IT support provided by Rovers.
- Auchmuty Learning Lounge is an unstaffed collaborative space open 24 hours.
- Ourimbah Nyte Bytes is an unstaffed Computer Lab (A.2.26) open 24 hours.
- NeW Space 24 hour common areas are available on the ground and first floors of the NeW Space building. Swipe card access is required for after hours entry.
Group study spaces
Group study rooms and study booths in the libraries can be booked online by groups of 2 or more students. For information about locations, equipment and availability go to the Room bookings page.
Postgraduate students can use our Postgraduate study rooms at Auchmuty, Huxley and Ourimbah libraries.
Whether you need to concentrate in silence, work quietly with a friend, or study in a group, there is a place for you in the library. Library noise zones allow you to choose the right place for you.
Use your student or staff number and password to log on to computers.Enter the same log-in as you would for Blackboard or MyHub. Any log-in asking for a password needs the ‘c’ on your student number or use of a staff numberplate. Find out more about Student Accounts or talk to the staff at the Library Service Zone.
Connect your laptop, tablet or smartphone to the University’s Wireless Network.
Use NewCat+ Library Catalogue to find good quality academic resources including books, ebooks, journal articles and much more. The NewCat+ search tips and Basic searching tutorials will help you to search effectively and locate relevant material.
Use Bonus+ to request books NOT HELD in the University of Newcastle Library collections.
Subject Resource Guides
The Subject Resource Guides help you find relevant material for your area of study. The guides also give referencing and researching tips.
Your University Identification card is your Library card for borrowing and electronic access. Library items can be borrowed via the self-check machines or by visiting the Service Zones. Visit the Borrower webpages for more information on borrowing conditions for our users.