Eastern University Games: Veronica Smith Netball
There'll be some swift moves on the courts when netball hits Newcastle for the Eastern University Games (EUG) in July. As one of Australia's most popular sports, netball is a fast, exciting spectator game that should provide plenty of thrills for the crowd.
At last year's games in Wollongong, Newcastle placed fourth in netball out of 19 teams. This year we'll hope to better that result and end the University of Technology's three-year EUG netball reign – can we take out the gold medal and top placing? By the looks of our teams, we have an excellent chance.
OUR STAR RECRUIT
One of UON's leading players is Newcastle Representative in DOOLEYS State League, Veronica Smith. As Goal Shooter or Goal Attack, Veronica will be sure to up the tally against our opponents. An avid netball player, 17-year-old Veronica moved from New Zealand to Newcastle in 2011 and attended Bishop Tyrell Anglican College, where she made netball her focus. Veronica is now in her first year, studying a Bachelor of Secondary Teaching (PDHPE) at UON and continues to combine her love of netball with her education.
With a long list of sporting achievements up her sleeve, Veronica has played representative netball in a range of competitions:
- 2014 Newcastle Netball Association 21 Years Representative Team
- Newcastle U15 Singapore Touring Team 2011, U15, U17, U19, U21
- U15 NSW Talented Athletes Program
- Hunter Academy of Sport 2011-2013, School Pathway to play at the NSW Combined Independent Schools Tournament
- Bishop Tyrell Anglican College touring team to Southern Skies Brisbane International competition
- The Junction Netball Club (Greater Open division)
Veronica's unmatched agility and sharp shooting skills are sure to add extra firepower to Team UON.
Competition Dates: Monday 7 to Thursday 10 July.
Location: National Park Netball Courts, Union Street.