Risk assessments for teaching and research
To keep you, your students and anyone involved in your research and teaching safe, you need to complete a risk assessment before starting any new activity.
You will need to assess the risks by completing the general risk assessment process and completing the Safety Review Form (PDF, 2MB). For research and teaching that involves high risk international travel* please also complete the International Travel Safety Risk Assessment and Approval Form (DOC, 75KB). For further information, please see the international travel and activity frequently asked questions (PDF, 446KB).
*High risk international travel is outlined in KRA 2.5 Travelling on University Business (PDF, 338KB).
Once your forms have been submitted, the Health and Safety Team will arrange for them to be reviewed by the relevant committee or subject matter expert in order to seek approval for the project or activity to proceed.
The information is reviewed and assessed, which might involve discussions with the responsible academic or an inspection of the workplace. Where the risks are determined to be well controlled, safety approval is granted and you are notified that you can proceed.
- Fieldwork medical questionnaire (DOC, 141KB)
- Offsite visit interview safety guideline (DOC, 479K
- International travel and activity FAQ (PDF, 446KB)
- Radiation safety manual (PDF, 777KB)
- Research Participant Reimbursement and Cash Handling Procedural guidelines (PDF, 47KB)
- Risk Assessment Template (DOC, 145KB)
- Safety form flowchart (PDF, 48.4KB)
- Scuba diving operations manual (PDF, 653KB)