Individuals vary in their reactions to key organisational events, in a way that we can reliably predict. Students who complete this course will develop an understanding of how individual variation influences organisations, including how they can measure individual differences using validated psychological tools. The course will cover the influence of personality traits and personal values on workplace effectiveness. It will also explore how these individual differences predict how we perceive ourselves and other people in our workplace. The relationship between emotions and workplace attitudes will be unpacked. These emotions and attitudes will be discussed in the context of key theories of employee motivation, including key levers to address individual motivation and subsequent workplace productivity. Finally, the course will identify the individual’s capacity for decision-making and creativity. Once students complete their course they will have the key skills to influence workplace effectiveness from the perspective of an individual employee, using psychological measurement tools to choose appropriate intervention techniques.
Prior to 2020, this course was titled PSYC6130 Influencing People in Organisations.
This course is not part of an APAC accredited sequence.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Appraise the links between individual characteristics and workplace productivity.
2. Articulate the factors that shape individual behaviour in organisations, including personality, values, attitudes, motivation, and creativity.
3. Explain the individual level factors that enhance workplace productivity.
4. Recommend strategies for dealing with individual attitudes that impede performance at work.
- Personality and values
- Perceiving ourselves and others in organisations
- Workplace emotions and attitudes
- Foundations of employee motivation
- Applied strategies for motivating employees
- Decision making and creativity
Completion of an APAC accredited 3 year program in psychology or equivalent
PSYC6000 and PSYC6050
Quiz: 6 multiple choice tests
In Term Test: 4 short answer questions
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks
Workshops held in weeks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12.
Online 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term