ORHL3104 builds on the knowledge and skills gained by students in first year, second year, and Semester 1, third year and relates to the assessment, diagnosis and clinical management of dental hygiene and dental therapy patients. Students will treat patients in the University of Newcastle Oral Health Ourimbah Clinic and attend various clinical placements.
This course is a compulsory program component and students must pass in order to demonstrate clinical safety and to complete the Bachelor of Oral Health.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2019
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate competency in the application and integration of knowledge of the aetiology and effects of oral diseases on the provision of treatment for individual and the community
2. Demonstrate the provision of preventive and restorative clinical patient care, within the Oral Health Therapists scope of practice
3. Demonstrate the use of evidence based practice for the provision of information and treatment of preventive and restorative oral health care for the individual and community
4. Reflect, evaluate and critique personal performance during clinical sessions
5. Demonstrate the appropriate selection and use of medicaments and microbial therapies in relation to the management of dental and periodontal disease
6. Demonstrate sound cultural, social and age appropriate communication skills with child, adolescent and adult patients, carers and team members
7. Demonstrate professional behavior and integrity
8. Synthesize a comprehensive treatment plan for preventive and restorative oral health care
9. Demonstrate competency in the clinical care of patients
- Communication skills and patient management
- Oral health organisation and delivery of preventive and restorative care for patients
- Oral health needs of the community
- Relationship between oral health and general health
- Assessment risk of caries and periodontal disease in the individual and community
- Preventive and restorative oral health care
- Pain control
- Infection control and OHS
- Team work
- Professional responsibility
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students in the B Oral Health Therapy (12390) program. Pre-requisite: students must also have successfully completed ORHL3101 and ORHL3102.
Students must have successfully completed ORHL3101 and ORHL3102.
Portfolio: Assignment: Clinical Portfolio
Professional Task: Ongoing Clinical assessment *
Role Play: Clinical Communication Assessment
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Professional Task: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
Face to Face Off Campus 250 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Attendance at Clinical Placement sessions is compulsory.