This course allows students to develop and refine their professional skills towards competent practitioner level by attending a professional placement at an accredited clinical centre.
This course is a Compulsory Program Component and must be passed in order to progress in the Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Diagnostic Radiography) (Honours) program.
- Semester 1 - 2019
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Observe and identify the role and function of medical radiation practitioners and health care team members in the delivery of health care
2. Apply and participate in MRS procedures at a level suitable to their current clinical experience
3. Develop and demonstrate a professional attitude towards members of the public and other health care workers
4. Further develop clinical reasoning skills
5. Further develop and apply communication skills with members of the public and other health care workers
6. Practice within an ethical and legal framework
7. Evaluate and critique his or her role within and during the clinical practice according to the level of experience
8. Describe the current and future roles that may be required to practice within and reflect on the need for continual learning to improve clinical practice
Professional Practice involving application of::1. Aspects of Ethical and Professional practice including legal responsibilities, mandatory and voluntary reporting, MRPB Code of Practice, informed consent, fitness to practice, bioethics2. Components and structure of Australian HealthCare System3. Quality frameworks as relevant to Diagnostic Radiography3. Safe radiation practice principles and procedures as they relate to:- General radiography- CT- MRI including risk management, safe use of equipment and instrumentation, workplace safety including management of radiation and radioactivity.
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
MRSC3355 and MRSC3160
Log / Workbook: Professional Skills/Clinical Competence Workbooks *
Portfolio: Clinical portfolio *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Clinical: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must complete 35 shifts over 7 weeks of clinical placement
- Workshop: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must attend the workshops and engage with the learning activities and assessments
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Portfolio: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
- Log / Workbook: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must complete and submit all parts of the clinical workbook and complete the required clinical contact hours to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
- First Aid Certificate - students must complete a First Aid Certificate issued by an approved provider.
Face to Face Off Campus 5 day(s) per Week for 7 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 3 Weeks