Develops an understanding of the theoretical concepts and basic skills underlying effective interventions. Modules cover; change during the life cycle; change without expert help; stages of change; motivational interviewing; brief interventions; compliance therapy; relapse prevention and Health Behaviour change with cancer and chronic pain patients.
Motivating Health Behaviour Change is a skills-based course. Skills-based courses prove a knowledge and skills-base for assessment and intervention with people with AOD problems in various settings.
Students who've completed MEDI6140-Clinical Approaches to D/A Problems I are not able to enroll in this course.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe reasons for modest optimism regarding the role of expert help
2. Identify a client's stage of change
3. Demonstrate motivational interviewing or compliance therapy strategies
4. Describe research evidence concerning the effectiveness of motivational interviewing
5. Describe compliance therapy strategies
6. Describe brief intervention approaches
7. Describe relapse prevention strategies
- Change during the life cycle
- Change without expert help
- Stages of change
- Motivational interviewing
- Compliance therapy
- Brief interventions
- Relapse prevention
- Health behaviour change with cancer and chronic pain patients
Students must work in an employment setting which allows approximately 7 days of clinical work with clients who report alcohol or other drug use. (Please note that this is not a placement and that appropriate work settings also include accident and emergency, ward, community nursing and mental health services.) Mentoring will be required for a minimum of 2 meetings across the semester. If you are currently unemployed, you will need to meet with your mentor regularly so that you can practise the skills required for this course.
Online Learning Activity: Discussion board.
Written Assignment: Critique and DVD/audio demonstration
Written Assignment: Skills demonstration DVD/audio recording and critique
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 6 hour(s) per Week for Full Term