Covers the mathematics necessary to perform calculations in, and create models for, the real world of Science and Engineering. Specifically, it will demonstrate how to do mathematics in a three-dimensional world. The course describes the fundamental ideas of calculus of functions of one and two variables, differential equations and linear algebra. It continues from MATH1110 to complete a first year of Mathematics suitable for Science and Engineering students, and others for whom Mathematics is a tool.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2019
- Semester 1 - 2019
- Semester 2 - 2019
- Trimester 2 - 2019 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a practical foundation in calculus and its applications;
2. Demonstrate an understanding of matrices and eigenvectors;
3. Demonstrate an awareness of common mathematical themes underlying different areas of mathematics (such as that of linearity).
- Sequences, series and approximation.
- Introduction to functions of more than one variable and partial differentiation.
- Elementary differential equations and applications.
- Linear equations and matrices.
- Eigenvectors and eigenvalues and applications.
Quiz: Quizzes (x8)
Formal Examination: Examinations
In Term Test: In Class Test 1 - On Calculus
In Term Test: In Class Test 2 - Differential Equations
BCA Singapore, Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
These contact hours are for delivery of the course in a semester term. For a summer/winter term the lectures may be delivered as face to face compressed in to the shorter term or blended with online lectures combined with face to face to face workshops
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks
Students enrolled in the part-time evening program at UoN Singapore will receive equivalent instruction delivered in a block mode of 7 teaching weeks.