This course covers the mathematics necessary to perform calculations in, and create models for, the real world of Science and Engineering. Specifically, it will demonstrate how to do mathematics in a three-dimensional world. The course describes the fundamental ideas of calculus of functions of one and two variables, differential equations and linear algebra. It continues from MATH1110 to complete a first year of Mathematics suitable for Science and Engineering students, and others for whom Mathematics is a tool.
Students who wish to proceed to further mathematics studies at second year level are recommended to complete MATH2340 after MATH1120. The course sequence MATH1110, MATH1120, MATH2340 is equivalent to the pair MATH1210, MATH1220.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Trimester 1 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply methods of calculus to solve mathematical problems;
2. Use matrices and eigenvectors to solve problems in linear algebra;
3. Apply common mathematical themes such as linearity to solve problems across the different strands within this course.
- Sequences, series and approximation.
- Introduction to functions of more than one variable and partial differentiation.
- Elementary differential equations and applications.
- Linear equations and matrices.
- Eigenvectors and eigenvalues and applications.
Formal Examination: Examinations
In Term Test: In Class Test 1 - On Calculus
In Term Test: In Class Test 2 - Differential Equations
Quiz: Online quiz
BCA Singapore, Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
These contact hours are for delivery of the course in a semester term. For a summer/winter term the lectures may be delivered as face to face compressed in to the shorter term or blended with online lectures combined with face to face to face workshops.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks
Compulsory Requirement:Every student must attend a min of 80% of workshops to meet course requirements.Students enrolled in the part-time evening program at UoN Singapore will receive equivalent instruction delivered in a block mode of 7 teaching weeks.