Gives students an understanding of the impact of the legal and regulatory system on health and safety in the workplace. Topics covered include: structure and functions of law and legal institutions in Australia as they relate to WH&S; an introduction to the employer/employee relationship; Tort liability: Negligence, Breach of Statutory Duty; the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW) and related legislation; an introduction to the principles of Workers' Compensation; and WH&S and anti-discrimination laws.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the Australian Legal System in the context of workplace health and safety laws, and the ability to access recent developments in the law;
2. Describe the common law requirements which relate to workplace health and safety, and their relationship to the contract of employment;
3. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the relevant statutory requirements with particular emphasis on the Work Health & Safety Act 2011(NSW);
4. Discuss the concepts of negligence and liability in relation to workplace health and safety;
5. Discuss the remedies available for breaches of legal standards;
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the general principles of workers compensation and of the scheme of legislation applying in NSW;
7. Appreciate some of the issues raised by other workplace laws such as those relating to discrimination as they relate to this area.
- Structure and functions of law and legal institutions in Australia as they relate to WH&S; basic legal research skills.
- An introduction to the law of contract and the employer/employee relationship.
- Tort Liability: Negligence; Breach of Statutory Duty.
- The Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW).
- Related legislation - State and Commonwealth.
- An introduction to the principles of Workers Compensation.
- WH&S and anti-discrimination laws
The course assumes no prior knowledge of law.
Written Assignment: Essay
Written Assignment: Problem solving Assignment
Written Assignment: Short Answer Questions
Self-Directed 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Equivalent to 4 hours of face to face lectures per week: i.e. 56 hours over the full semester.Online discussion board also available.