Research Methodology and Design
This course advances the student's understanding of selected research methods and concepts. All students complete core content, advanced critical appraisal skills, research ethics, research protocol design, qualitative and quantitative research.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Describe ethical considerations pertaining to human research and be able to apply knowledge of research ethics to their own research proposal.
2. Describe, discuss and evaluate common qualitative/ quantitative research methodologies and design issues.
3. Generate a research question/ testable hypothesis relevant to their discipline of study based on emerging knowledge critical appraisal of current literature.
4. Interpret basic statistical analysis of data relevant to the methodology used in its collection.
5. Become familiar with frameworks for critical appraisal of an article.
- Review and advanced critical appraisal of literature
- An ethical approach to study design
- Elements of a research protocol design and the development a research question
- Quantitative study design
- Qualitative study design
- Basic biostatistical methods
A completed degree in a relevant cognate discipline or completion of two years of a 4 year degree.
In Term Test: Online examinations x 4
Written Assignment: Written assignment 1. Critical appraisal of quantitative literature
Written Assignment: Written assignment 2. Critical appraisal of qualitative literature
Online 24 hour(s) per Term
Moderated discussion board available through Blackboard