This course introduces students to human resource development (HRD), a field of study and practice that an organisation can draw upon for improving its effectiveness at an individual level, group and process level and organisational systems level. This course also introduces organisation development (OD), a process designed to improve the effectiveness of an organisation by incorporating individual, group and system level requirements. Further, it is a planned and longer-term systematic approach often driven by an expert practitioner (internal or external) working in conjunction with senior management. HRD and OD consider how the wider contextual environment impacts on the organisation's need to manage change effectively. Combining the foundational theoretical disciplines contributing to HRD and OD, the course introduces students to a range of learning interventions for improving the performance and effectiveness of a system.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 2 - 2020
- Trimester 3 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Comprehend and synthesise the theoretical foundations of HRD and OD.
2. Review the learning processes of self and others.
3. Apply and synthesise a range of human resource and organisation development competencies.
4. Analyse and evaluate the role of HRD and OD in relation to organisational outcomes such as organisational effectiveness, productivity and quality of working life.
5. Collaborate effectively with others for sharing and extending knowledge to complete complex HRD tasks.
- Understanding HRD and OD in an organisational context
- Theoretical foundations - Part I (systems theories, economics theories, psychology theories)
- Capabilities, competencies and processes of HRD and OD
- Analysing HRD needs
- Design considerations
- Delivery strategies
- Assessment and evaluation
- Theoretical foundations - Part II (behavioural science and action research theories)
- Individual level interventions: Career management and development
- Group and process level interventions including management development
- Organisation systems level interventions
- Course Review and Contemporary Challenges
GSBS6040 Human Resource Management.
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Report: Group report
Written Assignment: Case Study Report
Newcastle City Precinct and Online
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term