In contrast with growing their domestic market, businesses often engage in strategic market expansion to other countries, involving alternative processes that range from exporting to internationalisation, multinationalisation, and globalisation. Each of these expansion strategies is unlike the others in the capabilities and competencies needed by the business, as well as in the core marketing considerations of segmentation, targeting and positioning it involves.
Guided by the global marketing imperative, the course is designed to provide students with a thorough grounding in all facets of global marketing strategy, A framework is developed that focuses on such key issues as the global market environment, the global marketing mix, and the strategic consideration of global market segmentation, targeting and positioning decisions. The overall focus is on the identification of global marketing opportunities, and on the subsequent planning and development of global marketing strategies aligned to the identified opportunities. Case studies dealing with global marketing issues assist in the application of learning to practical situations and in the development of a global marketing plan for a product or product line.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2021
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 1 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Justify the importance of studying global marketing and explain the challenges that influence global marketing decisions.
2. Distinguish between international, Multinational and global marketing management.
3. Demonstrate cognitive knowledge of the skills required in identifying, assessing and selecting global market opportunities.
4. Develop effective global marketing strategies and determine the method of entering a market.
5. Develop and justify global marketing mix programs for different environments.
6. Recognise key factors in running effective global businesses and the managerial challenges facing global marketing managers.
7. Apply global marketing concepts to gain strategic insights from case studies of real global marketing issues.
8. Develop and justify an in-depth global marketing plan.
This course includes but is not limited to the following topics:
- Globalisation Imperative and environmental considerations (economic / financial / global cultural / political and legal)
- Global Cultural Environment and Buying Behavior.
- Global Marketing Research, Segmentation and Positioning
- Global Marketing and Market Entry Strategies.
- Developing New Products for Global Markets.
- Global Marketing of Goods and Services.
- International and global market plans.
- Global Pricing.
- Communicating With the World Consumer. Cross-Cultural Management.
- Global Logistics and Distribution. Export and Import Management.
- Planning, Organisation, and Control of Global Marketing Operations.
- Marketing Strategies for Emerging Markets. Global Marketing and the Internet
GSBS6005 Marketing Management and Planning
Written Assignment: Global Marketing Opportunity Analysis
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Analysis Presentation Slides
Report: Case Analysis Report
Proposal / Plan: Global Marketing Plan
Newcastle City Precinct and Online
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.