This course aims to provide students with a broad understanding of current environmental issues as they relate to managerial decisions in all aspects of organisational activities. The focus is on the impact of businesses on the natural environment and how this impact can be minimised. A better understanding of the business-environment interface will enable more effective corporate environmental practice and decision-making.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Trimester 1 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explain key concepts to assess the effectiveness of corporate sustainability;
2. Explain how global and national environmental issues can and are being integrated into broader corporate strategy;
3. Critically evaluate the extent to which global and national environmental issues impact on corporate sustainability;
4. Analyse the key external and internal factors driving corporate sustainability;
5. Critically evaluate the effectiveness of corporate environmental strategy and environmental management systems in creating more sustainable business practices;
6. Demonstrate a range of skills in research that help inform the development and implementation of environmental management systems, policies and procedures;
7. Demonstrate a range of skills in communication that are relevant to environmental management and transferable to other subject and employment areas.
- Linking Business and the Environment
- Fundamentals of Environmental Management
- Managing the Environment
- "Greening" Business Operations
Nil. The course is designed such that students do not need any specialised knowledge in either environmental issues or principles of business.
Essay: Essay 1
Essay: Essay 2
Online Learning Activity: Online Blackboard Discussion
Online Learning Activity: Group Facilitation: Issues paper and online discussion
Self-Directed 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Five hours per week engaging with online material and five hours per week on self directed learning