Classics of World Literature
The course introduces students to a number of classic texts of international significance, thus familiarising them with major aspects of world literature. Texts written by foreign-language authors are examined in English translation.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Comprehension of texts in English and in English translation.
2. Critical analysis of texts.
3. Understanding of literary, historical, social and cultural movements associated with these texts.
4. Language development through discussion and writing about texts and theories related to them.
5. Independent research using secondary literature related to the prescribed texts.
The course aims to provide an insight into major examples of world literature. Students will:
- Engage in close reading
- Use literary terminology relevant to the texts
- Engage in practical criticism of literary technique
- Express opinions about and give individual responses to texts
- Refer to secondary literature
- Discuss textual interpretations
- Document textual interpretations
Essay: 1500-word essay
Essay: 2000-word essay
Online Learning Activity: Online discussion exercise