This course introduces students to fundamental electrical elements including voltage, current, resistance, inductance, capacitance and ideal operational amplifier. It provides students with an understanding and appreciation of techniques for analysing and designing simple dc and ac circuits including balanced 3 phase circuits. It also introduces the principles behind simple electrical machines, and provides hands on experience in using a microcomputer to control a simple electrical device.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Trimester 1 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2020
This course replaces the following course(s): ELEC1300. Students who have successfully completed ELEC1300 are not eligible to enrol in ELEC1310.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate safe working practices in laboratories
2. Demonstrate familiarity with the problems and theoretical tools to be further developed in the electrical engineering degree
3. Analyse and design ac and dc circuits using fundamental techniques
4. Explain the operating principles of electrical machines
5. Apply knowledge and gain practical 'hands on' experience through a design exercise in the laboratory
- Voltage, current, reference point, Ohm's law, resistivity
- DC Circuits: Kirchoff’s laws, series circuits, parallel circuits
- Capacitors and inductors: definition, characteristics, analogies, response to sinusoidal excitation
- AC circuits: Complex numbers, phasors, impedance, series circuits, parallel circuits, complex power
- Balanced 3-phase circuits: Star, Neutral, Delta
- Principles of electromechanical energy conversion: laws of electromagnetism and their application in explaining the basics of electrical machines
- Common component limitations
- Notation and units. Circuit topologies
- Operational amplifiers
- Superposition for DC and AC
- Simple design project using an Arduino Uno board
MATH1110 Mathematics 1
Online Learning Activity: Lab Induction *
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory exercises x 3 *
Quiz: In class quizzes x 3
Project: Group project
Formal Examination: Final examination
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Online Learning Activity: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain >=50% on average across the laboratory exercises. Students who score <50% will be offered the opportunity to reattempt the assessment.
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term