This course deepens students' understanding of the principles and practices of teaching and learning Mathematics in secondary schools. Students will explore course, programming and assessment requirements of the Higher School Certificate for Mathematics. Specific attention will be given to the literacy and numeracy demands of Mathematics as an area of study.
- Semester 1 - 2022
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Interpret the course, programming and assessment requirements of the different standard tests applicable in NSW (Higher School Certificate and NAPLAN for Mathematics;
2. Support the literacy and numeracy demands of mathematics as an area of study.
3. Address common misconceptions students hold with regard to mathematical concepts.
- Course, programming and assessment requirements of the NSW School Certificate and Higher School Certificate for Mathematics.
- Support the literacy and numeracy demands of mathematics as an area of study.
- Methods for addressing common misconceptions of mathematical concepts.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of
- Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or
- 80 units of UoN courses or
- Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways or
- Commencement in the program pre 2016
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Integrated Learning Session
Online 6 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Integrated Learning will typically consist of a series of online activities.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.