Provides a focus on the production of visual communications in the context of digital screen-based media. The course aims to develop an appreciation of fundamental visual communication principles as they relate to interactive screen based communication. Students will be expected to assimilate essential concepts, including creative visual problem solving, via a combination of theoretical and practical projects.
- Trimester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an informed knowledge of concepts fundamental to visual communication design.
2. Demonstrate a practical knowledge of design fundamentals, inclusive of the elements and principles of design.
3. Communicate using the terminology specific to visual communication design.
4. Critically evaluate examples of visual communications in the context of digital media.
5. Recognise the relationship between traditional & design media design.
6. Devise and produce design solutions for specific digital media problems.
7. Describe new and emerging directions for visual communication in the context of digital media.
8. Demonstrate an applied knowledge of computer hardware and software specific to this course.
Topics may include:
- Elements and principles of design
- The Design Process
- Vector and pixel based imagery
- Fundamentals of interactive screen based interface design
- Visual Language
- Creative Problem Solving
- Trends in professional Visual Communication Design.
- Future Directions for Visual Communication Design.
This course replaces DESN6300. If you have successfully completed DESN6300 you cannot enrol in this course.
Students are expected to have at least a basic level of computer literacy commensurate with a Postgraduate level of study. This will include basic competency with the use of 'Office' style applications (word processing, presentation and spreadsheet) and internet/web browsers.
Written Assignment: Essays / Written Assignments
Journal: Learning Journal
Project: Practical Projects
Online 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term