Organisations need to ensure that their operations are compliant with relevant security standards and industry practices. This course provides students with practical knowledge of important security standards and best practices in information security, risk management and security evaluation criteria in industry sectors including finance and healthcare. The course also introduces legal aspects associated with privacy and data breaches.
Not currently offered.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Analyse security risks and security requirements in organisations
2. Discuss important security standards and best practices in security management for businesses
3. Develop strategies and methods for evaluating and implementing information security management standard in organizations
4. Evaluate security standards in the finance and healthcare industry
5. Analyse compliance requirements with respect to certain privacy and data breach legal considerations
Information Security Management
Information Security Management Standard: ISO 27000 Series -- Information Security Standards.
Security Policy and Controls ISO 27000 Series
Risk Management: ISO 27000 Series
Legal and Regulatory Issues: ISO 27000 Series
Security Evaluation Criteria: TCSEC/ITSEC/Common Criteria
Finance: Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
Security in Electronic Patient Health Records
Legal Aspects of Information Security
SENG2250 System and Network Security or COMP3500 Security Attacks Analysis and Mitigation Strategies
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Formal Examination: Final Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain 40% in the final exam to pass the course.