This course introduces students to techniques that are used by attackers to exploit computer systems and networks. Security attacks such as injection, rootkits and denial of service attacks will be discussed along with the detailed analysis of defending security technologies such as firewalls, host/network-based security tools and signature/anomaly-based security tools.
Students who complete this course will have a good understanding of security technologies that are used for securing systems and networks. Furthermore, students should be able to perform attack detection and security anomaly analysis and manage the security aspect of a network.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify security risks in enterprise network infrastructures
2. Analyse security threats and methods for exploiting systems and networks to generate attacks
3. Apply security mechanisms to mitigate cyber attacks
4. Investigate security technologies used to counteract the attacks
Introduction to course
Software Security Attacks and Mitigation Techniques
Network Security Attacks and Mitigation Techniques
Wireless Network Security Attacks and Mitigation Techniques
Attacks in Virtual/Mobile networks
Advanced Security Technologies
Best Practices for Building Secure Systems and Networks
INFT2031 Systems and Network Administration or COMP2240 Operating Systems
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Formal Examination: Final Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain 40% in the final exam to pass the course.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 3
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1