Digital disruption has transformed news media and consequently change in the industry is constant. This course will introduce students to how news media operates and will develop analytical, research, interviewing, production, multimedia and writing skills relevant to multi-platform journalism in a dynamic media environment. Course content will contextualise and analyse news media through a lens that explores cultural, historical, political and economic perspectives.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Trimester 2 - 2020 (Singapore)
This course replaces the following course(s): CMNS1280. Students who have successfully completed CMNS1280 are not eligible to enrol in CMNS2320.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe and analyse the role of news media in society;
2. Apply news reporting skills for text-based and multiplatform publications in practical presentations;
3. Critique the skills and practices of professional journalism.
Topic will include:
- reporting across platforms
- law and ethics
- data journalism
- entrepreneurial approaches
- social media
- public relations and journalism relationships
- Indigenous affairs, religion and sport reporting
If you have successfully completed CMNS1280, you cannot enrol in this course.
40 units at 1000 level including CMNS1090 Media Storytelling.
Quiz: In Class Quiz - 20%
Journal: Topic Champion and Journal - 30%
Professional Task: News Story Slideshow - 50%
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2