Introduction to Digital Communication
Introduces students to a range of digital media forms and practices. It deals with some of the social, political and cultural implications of digital media, focusing particularly on the Internet. Students will also gain skills in the use of the Internet as a research tool for communication culture.
- Trimester 3 - 2016 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2017 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Recognise the basic principles of web page design and apply these to their own practice using designated computer software
2. Demonstrate integrated creative, technical, and computer skills by developing publications at a professional standard for an online environment.
3. Use the Internet and World Wide Web as academic research tools.
4. Apply knowledge of the social, political and cultural impacts of digital communication to professional practice.
5. Employ narrative and interactive design principles to assess and create professional online publications.
Students will be introduced to web page design and construction and will research the social, political, and cultural impacts of digital communication. During the production/workshop sessions students will:
- Gain an understanding of a content management and publishing system;
- Gain an understanding of graphic file formats suitable for web delivery;
- Develop Internet and World Wide Web research techniques;
- Develop an understanding of the social, political and cultural impacts of digital communication.
As this is an introductory course there is no assumed knowledge but general computer competence is an advantage.
Project: Assignment Task 1 - Home Page
Written Assignment: Assessment Task 2 - Blog Site Review Blog site review
Presentation: Assessment Task 3 - Presentation
Project: Assessment Task 4 - Journal and Completed Blog Site
Callaghan and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term