Microbiology will cover a series of integrated themes including virology, molecular microbiology, microbial biotechnology environmental microbiology, pathogenesis, antibiotic activity and antibiotic resistance.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the biotechnology processes for which microorganisms can be used and manipulated.
2. Understand the dynamic nature of symbiotic interactions.
3. Understand the problems involved in antimicrobial therapy and the development of new chemicals for the control of microorganisms.
4. Appreciate the application of microbiology to environmental management.
Topics will include:
- Evolution and Diversity
- Archaea & Proteobacteria
- Microbial interactions
- Environmental microbiology
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Fermentation and degradation
- Biotechnology applications for microbiology
- Molecular microbiology
- Pathogenesis and antimicrobial strategies
- Mobile DNA
Quiz: On-line Quiz
Written Assignment: Essay/Written Assessment
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Tutorial Exercises
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks