Placements, internships and fieldwork

Placements, internships or fieldwork may be necessary as part of your research higher degree. They can provide a good insight that may help your research. If you are planning any of these as part of your degree please be aware of the following processes. Student Hubs can provide you with further information.

Criminal records check

You may need to have a criminal records check if as part of your degree you are doing a placement, internship or fieldwork that involves the teaching or care of:

  • children
  • the ill
  • other people in a vulnerable position

The New South Wales Department of Education and Communities and the New South Wales Health are two agencies which require this check.

If the agency declines your placement, internship or fieldwork then you may not be able to complete the requirements of the program. If this means you cannot complete your degree, UoN will do what it can to assist you to transfer to another program. However this cannot be guaranteed.

Prohibited employment declaration

UoN is required to screen students doing practical training as part of an educational or vocational course.

It is a requirement under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998 for students to complete a prohibited employment declaration (PDF, 29KB) before taking part in practical training.

If you are identified as a prohibited person and the University is unable to arrange placements necessary for the completion of your degree requirements, you will not be able to graduate from the program.

Enquiries should be directed to the Admissions and Enrolments unit.

NSW Health placements

If you are a new research higher degree student planning on a placement at NSW Heath you need to sign and submit a student undertaking form (PDF, 546KB) when you enrol. This form is a declaration that you will notify NSW Health of any criminal charge or conviction during the course of your degree. Students who do not submit this form will not be able to enrol.

There are several other requirements for placements with NSW Health. See more information about these other requirements including the National Police Certificate, required vaccinations and documents you need to take on your first day see the Faculty of Health and Medicine student placement information.