Voice across the lifespan
|Course code SPTH3004||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
Covers voice disorders. Voice science including perceptual and instrumental measurement and description of normal and abnormal voice is studied. The assessment and management of voice disorders in children and adults provides the main focus of study. The course includes coverage of the speech rehabilitation of the person following laryngectomy.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:|
1. Demonstrate awareness of etiological factors involved in impairments of voice.
2. Select and administer appropriate assessments for voice disorders.
3. Analyse and interpret findings with regard to knowledge of normal voice.
4. Identify further information and referral requirements for impairments of voice.
5. Develop comprehensive and detailed plans for intervention for voice disorders.
6. Report on findings and make recommendations for future management for voice disorders.
|Content||Physiology for phonation and respiration|
Acoustic aspects of voice production
Classification of voice disorders in adults and children
Assessment and management of:
- Psychogenic voice disorders
- Functional voice disorders
- Organic voice disorders
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- The professional voice
- Laryngeal cancer: etiology, classification, management, prognosis
Management options: education, oesophageal voice, speech aids,
Tracheo-Oesophageal Prosthesis (TEP): speech retraining and trouble-shooting
|Replacing Course(s)||SPTH3020 Speech Pathology IIIB|
|Transition||Not required - no change to course content|
Students who enrol in SPTH3020 during 2011 and do not successfully complete will be able to repeat course content by enrolling in SPTH3004 in 2012.
|Assumed Knowledge||SPTH3001, HUBS1107, SPTH1080|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for SPTH3004|