Child Language 3 and Hearing across the Life Span
|Course code SPTH2002||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
Focuses primarily on communication disorders in older children. Developmental language disorders in children are dealt with at an advanced level for both assessment and treatment. Audiological assessment and diagnosis of hearing and the implications for communication of hearing impairment in children and adults are also studied. Hearing habilitation and rehabilitation methods are introduced.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, a student should be able to:|
1. Demonstrate awareness of etiological factors involved in language impairment in older children, and in hearing impairment.
2. Interpret and critique comprehensive language assessments, and audiometric assessment procedures.
3. Analyse and interpret findings with regard to knowledge of normal language development and hearing function.
4. Identify further information and referral requirements.
5. Develop comprehensive and detailed plans for language intervention
6. Identify and discuss hearing habilitation and rehabilitation issues and methods.
7. Report on findings and make recommendations for future management.
|Content||Child language disorders - Advanced|
Language Learning Disability
Acquired Childhood Aphasia as associated with Traumatic Brain Injury, and convulsive disorders, e.g. Landau-Kleffner Syndrome
Assessment and intervention for the school-aged child
Adolescent language disorder, assessment and intervention
Hearing - Habilitation and Rehabiliation
- SWISH testing of Infants
- hearing aids
- cochlear implants
- Central Auditory Processing Disorder
- Deaf Education
|Replacing Course(s)||SPTH2210 Speech Pathology in Education and Community Settings 1 (10 Units)|
|Transition||SPTH2210 will not be offered after 2010. Students enrolled in the program at this time (i.e. 2009) will be advised of this change, in order to identify any students whose planned sequence of enrolment might need adjustment. Students who have not successfully completed SPTH2210 in 2010 will be able to undertake SPTH2001 instead. No transitional problems are envisaged, as the content coverage is sufficiently similar.|
|Assumed Knowledge||Students are expected to have the following Assumed Knowledge:|
SPTH1001, SPTH1002, SPTH1080, LING1111
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 3 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for SPTH2002|