Professional and Ethical Practice
Introduces students to the foundations of professional and ethical practice and includes; teaching on the 'scientist-professional' model, evidence-based practice, ethics and codes of conduct, relevant legislation, record keeping and report writing, practice management, the organisational contexts for the practice of psychology, personal safety, negotiation skills and conflict resolution, and respect for diversity, including indigenous and multicultural issues.
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Define the various roles of psychologists within the organisational contexts of their professional practice.
2. Understand the legal and ethical constraints on their practice and be able to work within them.
3. Write, clear, concise and relevant reports and keep appropriate records of their work.
4. Demonstrate sensitivity to human diversity, including intercultural and indigenous issues.
- The 'scientist-professional' model and evidence-based practice.
- Professional ethics and codes of conduct.
- Legislation relating to the professional practice of psychology.
- Record keeping, report writing, and practice management.
- The organisational contexts for the practice of psychology.
- Diversity, including indigenous and multicultural issues.
- Personal health and safety, including stress management and aggression minimisation.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Clinical Psychology, Master of Health Psychology, Doctor of Clinical & Health Psychology, PhD in Clinical Psychology or PhD in Health Psychology programs.
It is assumed that students will have completed a four-year program in Psychology that has been accredited by the Australian Psychological Society.
Essay: Essay *
Viva Voce: Clinical viva *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Viva Voce: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must pass this assessment task to gain a pass in this course
- Essay: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must pass this assessment task to gain a pass in this course
Face to Face On Campus 18 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks
This course is taught in intensive mode during the week before commencement of Semester 1 and during Week 1 of Semester 1.