Introduction to Physiotherapy
An introduction to physiotherapy skills: basic health evaluation and measurement skills and related knowledge needed for general physiotherapy practice.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Apply basic biomedical and behavioural knowledge to the measurement and evaluation of various parameters of physical function;
2. Appropriately select and correctly demonstrate basic measurement and evaluation procedures used for assessing parameters of physical function; appreciating age, gender and ethical considerations;
3. Discuss methodological issues related to basic measurement and evaluation skills used in physiotherapy practice.
- Massage: techniques, regional adaptation, and indications/contraindications
- Basic evaluation and measurement procedures used for assessing joint range of motion, including relevant biomechanical concepts, techniques and tools
- Basic evaluation and measurement procedures used for assessing muscle performance, including length, strength and endurance
- Basic evaluation and measurement procedures used for assessing posture, including observation, alignment and common postural presentations
- Basic evaluation and measurement procedures used for assessing cardio-respiratory function, including heart rate, blood pressure and fitness testing
- Considerations of age and gender in the basic evaluation and measurement of various parameters of physical function
- Methodological concepts relevant to measurement, including repeatability, reliability and validity.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) program.
In Term Test: Written Exam
Viva Voce: Practical Viva examinations
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term