Radiation Therapy Professional Practice 2A
This course provides students with the opportunity to further develop professional knowledge, experience and competence, in conventional and conformal low to medium level clinical procedures, by participating in professional skill labs at University and by attending a professional placement at an accredited radiation therapy clinical centre. The labs must be passed to be allowed to attend professional placement, and pass the course. This course is mandatory and must be passed in order to progress in the Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Radiation Therapy).
This course is a Compulsory Program Component and must be passed in order to progress in the Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Radiation Therapy).
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Demonstrate competence in the design and quality assurance checking of basic level treatment plans, and implementation of plans into treatment
2. Evaluate plans against ICRU criteria and ensure that they meet recognised and accepted criteria (ICRU 50/62)
3. Apply and participate in basic level radiation therapy treatment, planning and simulation procedures
4. Demonstrate a professional attitude towards members of the public and other health care workers
5. Demonstrate effective communication to members of the public and other health care workers, such as information gathering, active listening and empathy
6. Practice within an ethical and legal framework
7. Develop clinical reasoning / management skills
8. Apply the skills and knowledge necessary to employ an evidenced based approach to decision making in healthcare practice
9. Reflect upon, and evaluate and critique his or her role within and during the clinical period, according to the level of experience
- Isocentric Treatment & Planning
- Conventional and Conformal Radiation Therapy approaches
- ICRU Report 50 and Report 62 - Prescribing, Reporting and Recording External Beam Therapy
- Dosing techniques and plan evaluation including visual assessment, statistical assessment, dose volume histogram assessment, biological models of dosing
- 3 dimensional planning
- Shielding & Templates: Construction & Use
- Patient assessment with regard to quality of life, living with illness, and treatment toxicity criteria
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Radiation Therapy) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of MRSC1200 and MRSC1220. Co-requisite - concurrent enrolment in MRSC2200
MRSC1200 Radiation Therapy Methods 1B MRSC1220 Radiation Therapy Professional Placement 1B
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Exercises *
Portfolio: Professional Skills / Clinical Competence Portfolio *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Clinical: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Minimum of 200hours/25 shifts of compulsory clinical practice during the semester. Clinical Briefing 1 hr per semester - compulsory attendance Clinical De-briefing 1 hr per semester - compulsory attendance. NOTE: Full term does not include those times when students are on a timetabled professional placement
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Portfolio: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Mandatory NSW Health Verification Requirements must be met.
Face to Face Off Campus 200 hour(s) per Term
Minimum of 200hours/25 shifts of clinical practice. Clinical Briefing 1 hr and Clinical debriefing 1 hr per semester - compulsory attendance NOTE: Full term does not include those times when students are on a timetabled professional placement
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term