Introduction to Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management links people-related activities to business strategy. The course develops a critical understanding of the role and functions of the various human resource activities in an organisation, providing students with a comprehensive review of key HRM concepts, techniques and issues. Topics include job analysis and design, recruitment and selection, evaluation, performance management, occupational health and safety, and the strategic contribution of HRM to organisational performance and evaluating HRM effectiveness. Working with contemporary case studies, students not only engage in collaborative and individual work processes but use communication and discourse characteristic of the HRM context and environment.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Define strategic HRM
2. Comprehend human resource planning and forecasting techniques
3. Identify and interpret the key procedures in recruitment and selection
4. Review employee performance management and rewards systems
5. Describe and analyse training and development
6. Illustrate the essential features of a human resource information system
7. Analyse and evaluate significant contemporary issues in human resource management including HRM's contribution to organisational performance
8. Apply and communicate the appropriate theoretical models in HRM discussions
9. Employ self analysis to evaluate and reflect upon personal academic outcomes and apply it to affect improvement.
The following topics are addressed in the course:
- H.R.M development, models and strategic alignment.
- HRM structures and HR manager's profile and competencies.
- Human resource planning and career development.
- Job analysis and job redesign.
- Affirmative action, equal employment opportunity and managing diversity.
- Recruitment, selection and dismissal
- Performance and evaluation.
- Reward management.
- Occupational health and safety.
- Training and development.
- Auditing HRM. Evaluating HRM's contribution to organisational competitiveness.
- Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS)
IRHR1001 Managing the Organisation or MNGT1001 Introduction to Management
Written Assignment: Workshop Assignments
Quiz: Online weekly tests
In Term Test: Case Study Examination
Formal Examination: End of Semester Examination
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks