Cross-Cultural Management and Negotiations
National as well as organisational culture plays an important role in managerial effectiveness and business performance of firms engaged in cross-border operations. The theory and practice of management and negotiation in a cross-cultural international context is examined with models of cross cultural management critiqued and applied to contemporary business cases. The challenges of operating international business relationships with diverse workforces are critically analysed. Course topics include understanding decision-making and sense-making by managers in terms of their mental models; organising and managing diverse teams; conflict management and negotiations; understanding cultural differences; and mapping institutional differences across countries. Focus is directed upon cross-country and cross-institutional negotiations; leadership types; and the concept of 'global managers'. Adopting a problem based learning approach using relevant cases and experiences, the course emphasises the importance of communication as an essential attribute, and provides practical examples of cross-cultural negotiation in relevant business environments.
- Semester 2 - 2016
1. Demonstrate an integrative understanding of the ethical, social, and cultural issues in cross cultural management and negotiation.
2. Identify the key issues raised by international business cases in cross cultural management and negotiations.
3. Apply and reflect upon analytical and theoretical frameworks to cross cultural settings.
4. Demonstrate strategic thinking and conduct strategic analysis of business opportunities in across cultural environments.
5. Interact with team members within a problem based learning structure to effectively coordinate and communicate project and case study outcomes.
6. Identify, analyse, evaluate and communicate information reflective of negotiation and management formats and in cross cultural contexts.
Topics in this course may include:
- Globalisation and cross culture management
- Understanding dimensions and theories of Culture
- Ethics and social responsibility
- Managing cross countries and Regions
- Managing culturally diverse organisations and multicultural team
- Negotiation instruction, skills and styles
- Negotiation in diverse cultures
- Leadership across cultures
- Motivation across cultures
- Human resource selection and development across cultures
IBUS1000 Managing International Business Risk
Report: Group Case Study Report
Presentation: Group Case Study Presentation
Journal: Cross Cultural Reflective Journal
Formal Examination: Final Exam
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks