German Language 1A Elementary
Learning German can enrich your life and your chances of success in both your work and private life. This course is designed for students with no previous knowledge of the language or insufficient knowledge to qualify for GRMN2501. The emphasis throughout the course is on the acquisition of the basic language skills of speaking, comprehending, reading and writing German. A basic aim of the course is to develop communicative competence in everyday German. Aspects of contemporary German culture and society are also discussed.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. demonstrate elementary listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in everyday German language
2. demonstrate an understanding of, and an ability to communicate in, German about selected topics of everyday life
3. demonstrate knowledge of appropriate modes of interaction in German-speaking society
4. demonstrate the capacity to think critically and organise time effectively
This course introduces major linguistic structures of the German language through content that features cultural, social, geographical, historical and political aspects of German-speakingsocieties. These structures include the case system, the present tense, some past tense forms, and basic word order.Students will develop the four meta-skills (listening, speaking,reading and writing), which will allow them
- to comprehend everyday basic language
- to engage in everyday spoken language at an elementary level
- to read and understand short texts in the realm of everyday life.
Nil. This course is designed for students who have no knowledge of the German language. Students who are already competent or native speakers of this language are encouraged to undertake 2000 or 3000 level courses for a more engaged learning experience.
Written Assignment: Written and Oral Assignments
Formal Examination: Formal Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term