Exercise & Sport Science Honours 4130
|Course code EXSS4130||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Environmental and Life Sciences|
This course involves the direct application of research skills and competencies introduced in EXSS4120. The course is conducted under the direct supervision of an academic staff member who is the student's honours research supervisor. It concentrates on the data collection and analysis portion of the research process. By the start of this course, students will have completed a major literature review, identified a suitable research question and developed a robust research design. The course explores and implements appropriate data collection techniques and develops advanced skills in data analysis. The course develops chapter drafts for the student's research thesis, as well as a poster and oral presentation of research findings.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Work Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this Compulsory Course Component in the course outline provided by the School.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of the course students will have:|
1. Competency in the selection of various methods of quantitative and qualitative data collection and statistical analysis used in exercise and sports science.
2. Capacity to implement appropriate methods of quantitative and qualitative data collection and statistical analysis used in their individual research projects.
3. Appreciation of the methods used to distill and communicate scientific findings in concise formats.
|Content||Students undertake activities involving: |
- Discussion and guidance on the use of appropriate methods of quantitative and qualitative data collection and statistical analysis used in exercise and sports science research.
- Guidance on the use of analytical thinking for data interpretation.
- The application of appropriate research ethics principles.
- Guidance on conventions used in communicating scientific findings in oral and poster presentations.
|Assumed Knowledge||EXSS4110 and EXSS4120|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Individual Supervision|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Individual Supervision: for 14 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EXSS4130|