|Course code EPPHYS152||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
EPPHYS152 Physics prepares students for the commencement of undergraduate study and requires a sound knowledge of fundamental principles of physics. The depth and extent of the course is similar to the HSC Physics course. It covers the basic concepts of mechanics, forces, energy and waves.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||The course will:|
1. Provide a sound knowledge of the fundamentals of physics.
2. Develop problem solving and research skills essential for undergraduate study.
3. Illustrate the principles of physics with little mathematics.
4. Enhance problem solving and logical processes within a mathematical framework.
|Content||Physics I will cover:|
1. The definition of Physics and its relation to other sciences.
2. The definition of fundamental quantities and scientific notation.
3. Basic mathematical concepts and skills used in physics.
4. Scalar and vector quantities and basic vector algebra.
5. Motion in one and two dimensions and the equations of kinematics.
6. The study of dynamics using Newton's laws.
7. Concepts of force, mass, work and momentum; the work-energy theorem and forms of energy.
8. Laws of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum: elastic and inelastic collisions.
9. Circular motion and the law of gravity.
10. Vibrations and wave motion: types of waves, Simple Harmonic motion and its relationship to circular motion.
11. Introduction to sound and the Doppler effect.
|Assumed Knowledge||Mathematical techniques equivalent to Year 10 School Certificate|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Problem Based Learning|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EPPHYS152|