Specialist Studies in Technology 4
This course provides an introduction to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment for teaching the Stage 6 Design and Technology and Industrial Technology Syllabi. It provides students with an opportunity to understand the various discourses on current issues that inform teachers' knowledge and pedagogical practice, as well as critically engaging with models of pedagogy. Students will experience authentic opportunities to work with stage 6 students.
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
1. Design challenging, engaging, and supportive project-based learning units for teaching the Stage 6 Technology curriculum of their first and second teaching areas.
2. Utilise appropriate pedagogies, resources, and assessment practices for teaching Stage 6 Technology
3. Understand the assessment requirements of the NSW Higher School Certificate.
4. Understand issues involved in managing and supervising senior technology projects.
This course introduces students to:
- Stage 6 Design and Technology and Industrial Syllabus-
- Authentic mentoring of stage 6 students
- Planning Lessons, Programming/Unit of Work/Resources
- Contemporary approaches to pedagogy (incl. the NSW Quality Teaching framework).
- Academic culture, literacy, numeracy and technacy issues.
- Problem Based Learning, Design, Communication, Research, Innovation, Emerging Technologies, Sustainability, Evaluation
- Major Project and Folio Management
- Professional Affiliates: TEA, IIATE, NSW Institute of Teachers, TEA. DECA, HEA, HHEA.
- Teaching Strategies including: Autonomous Learning Model, Case Study, Industry Studies, Oral Presentations, Research, Discourse and Mentoring.
- Scope and Sequence
- Whole School Assessment
- Using SMART Data
- Using formative and summative data
- Stage 6 Subject Assessment Requirements
- HSC assessment and examination
- Oral and Written reports
- Graphics and Electronics/Robotics
This course replaces EDUC3031. If you have successfully completed EDUC3031 you cannot enrol in this course.
Students should have completed EDUC2101, EDUC2145, EDUC2245 and EDUC345. It is expected that in EDUC2101 they would have enrolled in the Design and Technology tutorial.
Report: Mentoring Report
Written Assignment: Research Poster Presentation
Written Assignment: Assessment Task Design
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 9 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks