Specialist Studies in Technology 1
This course provides an introduction to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment for teaching the Stage 5 Elective Technology Syllabi including: Food, Textiles, Engineering and ICT. It provides students with an opportunity to understand the various discourses that inform teachers' knowledge and pedagogical practice as well as critically engaging with models of pedagogy. Students will also develop practical skills in the Food and Textile contexts of the Stage 4 Technology Mandatory Syllabus in NSW.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Design challenging, engaging, and supportive project-based learning activities and assessment for teaching the Stage 5 Elective Technology Syllabi.
2. Critically engage with various approaches to pedagogy / theories that capture the complexities of the curriculum.
3. Demonstrate the use of food/textile skills in creating a product/system/environment and digital folio.
4. Demonstrate the teaching of numeracy skills when weighing, measuring and selecting temperatures to manufacture food/textiles items.
This course introduces students to:Curriculum
- Stage 5 Elective Syllabus
- Stage 4 Mandatory Technology skills in Food and Textiles
- Planning Lessons, Programming/Unit of Work/Resources
- Contemporary approaches to pedagogy (incl. the NSW Quality Teaching framework).
- Academic culture, literacy, numeracy and technacy.
- Design Process and Problem Based Learning
- Teaching Strategies including: Problem Based Learning, Direct Instruction, Discussion, Problem Solving, Secondary and Primary Research, Case Studies, Group work
- Assessment for and of Learning
- Outcome based Assessment
- Programming and Assessment (Informal Tasks)
- Assessing Practical Work
- BOSTES website/ARC Resource Centre
- Food, Textiles
- ICT-Web 2.0 Tools
Students should have completed EDUC2101 or EDUC1101. It is expected that they would have enrolled in the Design and Technology tutorial.
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Studies - Development of a Research Proposal
Proposal / Plan: Unit Plan
Project: Exemplary digital design folio