Introduces students to the writing of feature articles as practised in professional journalism. Students will develop their research, interviewing and writing skills through a variety of assigned tasks and produce journalistic articles for publication in text and online forms. Students may be asked to attend guest lectures.
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Trimester 2 - 2016 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2017 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Expanded their knowledge and understanding of the role of journalism in society.
2. Developed their professional writing and research skills as applicable to features journalism in print and online forms.
3. Advanced their skills in critical reflection on professional practice.
4. Further developed their professional communication skills.
The course consists of one lecture in which students are made aware of the course content and requirements followed by workshops in the remainder of the term in which students discuss and critique their own and fellow students written projects. Students are introduced to the work of prizewinning Australian and international journalists. Students will also be required to undertake class exercises exploring the theory and practice of features journalism in print and online formats.
CMNS1090 Introduction to Professional Writing, and CMNS1280 Introduction to Journalism.
Written Assignment: Assessment 1 - Film Review
Project: Assessment 2 - Profile
Project: Assessment 3 - Feature
Written Assignment: Writing and Peer Review
Callaghan and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term