|Course code CIVL3470||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Engineering|
The theory of groundwater flow and the transport of pollutants in groundwater are covered in this course. Topics include the modeling of groundwater flow and contaminant transport, well hydraulics, flow nets, subsurface chemical and microbial processes, sea water intrusion, groundwater monitoring and remediation.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||The course provides an introduction to hydrogeology and contaminant transport processes. The course will:|
A1. Introduce the discipline of hydrogeology and contaminant transport.
A2. Include laboratory experiments to illustrate key concepts.
A3. Introduce solution techniques for common problems in contaminant hydrogeology.
A4. Develop critical thinking skills.
|Content||1. Introduction to groundwater, groundwater history and groundwater resources in Australia.|
2. Darcy's Law and basic definitions.
3. Aquifer properties and groundwater geology.
4. 3D and 2D groundwater flow equation.
5. Developing solutions to groundwater flow problems; boundary conditions, initial conditions.
6. Analytical solutions to groundwater flow problems.
7. Flow nets.
8. Regional groundwater flow.
9. Well hydraulics.
10. Pump tests.
11. Numerical modelling of groundwater flow problems; MODFLOW.
12. Model calibration, parameter estimation and prediction.
13. Groundwater contamination - overview.
14. Groundwater chemistry.
15. Contaminant transport equation.
16. Diffusion and dispersion.
17. Model calibration and parameter estimation.
18. Boundary and initial conditions.
19. Analytical solutions.
20. Measurement of dispersivity.
21. Sea water intrusion.
24. Site remediation.
|Assumed Knowledge||Content covered in courses CIVL1331, CIVL2050, and MATH2310.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
Laboratory: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 3 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for CIVL3470|