The course covers the structural design of steel members and connections. Topics include design loads and the structural design of steel beams, columns, tension members and bolted and welded connections.
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Determination of design loads.
2. Understand design process
3. Sizing of structural steel members
4. Structural design of a realistic structure.
- Limit states and design loading.
- Outline of types of steel and steel structures.
- Methods of structural analysis.
- Flexural members (i.e., beams).
- Columns (i.e., compression members).
- Tension members.
- Combined actions (i.e., beams/columns).
- Bolted, pinned, and welded connections.
- Composite beams.
- Past examination and quiz paper review.
- Example design drawings and steel schedule.
Content covered in course CIVL2130 Theory of Structures 1.
Written Assignment: Wind-load Assignment
Project: Portal Frame Design Project
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term