The School of Electrical Engineering and Computing offers an exceptionally strong research profile in the areas of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering.
Within Electrical Engineering, our research excels particularly in the areas of systems and control theory, and the related areas of signal processing and system identification.
Within Computer Science and Software Engineering, our research is integrated and together with our world-leading and specialised academics, combines theoretical and practical methodologies to reach viable solutions to challenging computational problems.
Our research strengths
Research capabilities within the School:
- Control systems and automation
- Signal processing
- Data mining, computer science and bioinformatics
- Information technology
- Health informatics
- Machine learning and robotics
- Smart structures
- Power systems and smart grids
- Power electronics and drives
Examples industries and applications include:
- Process industries
- Electric supply and distribution
- Optimisation applications in ambulance scheduling
- High performance algorithms with GM research
- High speed/high performance nono-positioning systems