Friends of the University Margaret Olley Memorial Scholarship
06 March 2019
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle
The Friends of the University were established in 1981 to foster an awareness of the university and its place in the community and to conduct activities including fundraising that promote the interests of the university. Since that time the Friends have raised over $1,000,000 and contributed towards scholarships, art works, music, rare books, infrastructure and more.
Margaret Olley was a well-known Australian Artist born in 1923 who held over 90 solo exhibitions during her life time. She was appointed an Officer Order of Australia medal in 1991 and awarded Life Governor of the AGNSW in 1997. The AGNSW named the Margaret Olley, Twentieth Century European Gallery in her honour in 2001. She was appointed Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) in 2006. Margaret was awarded an honorary doctorate at the University of Newcastle. She continued to paint despite deteriorating health in her last few years and left a complete new body of work for exhibition when she passed away in 2011 at age 88.
Applicable to Fine Art, Creative Industries, postgraduate, undergraduate, equity, financial disadvantage, International and Domestic students.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of the Bachelor of Creative Industries, Bachelor of Fine Art, or any UON postgraduate program in the fields of Creative Industry or Fine Art with the Faculty of Education and Arts, UON.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- For undergraduate students, demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of educational disadvantage, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement outlining your academic achievement to date, your experience of financial hardship, and your career aspirations in the relevant area of study or research as well as how this scholarship would assist you.
- Any documents supporting your claims (such as CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement). A list of required documents for educational disadvantage is available at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/disadvantage-supporting-docs
TIPS: Limit supporting documents to a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only. You may need to combine as one pdf for upload and include your name and student number (if you have one) in the document.
The scholarship currently provides a benefit of $4,000 to be paid as two equal payments of $2,000 following semester one and semester two census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759